Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It has been an extremely busy 7 months for us. So many things have happened since my last post on this blog. Instead of boring you with every detail of our lives the last 7 months I will touch on the most important issues. After Rylee's admit to the hospital in August 2013 for rotavirus and scope we had two uneventful "normal" months. Unfortunately, in October we lost my Uncle Eddie on my dad's side to colon cancer. Thanksgiving came and went and Christmas was very difficult for my moms side of the family. As many of you know, my little cousin Melissa who was battling kidney cancer and whom was diagnose within weeks of my Uncle Eddie, was not doing well. We celebrated Christmas with her at her home and had a fabulous time, but out hearts were very heavy for Christmas knowing she was weakening. New Year's came and went like the fireworks we shot and Danny and I manage to get a quick getaway in New Orleans. The week following we received the news that Melissa was losing her brave battle with her cancer. There was nothing we could do to make time stop. My family was devastated and in a state of shock. Both sides of my family are very close knit and us cousins were raised as siblings. She is Only 26, the younges girl
Cousin and we can't help her. We made a trip to Baton Rouge to see her for the last time the following Sunday, Monday I received a call from Rylee's doctors office that her GI since diagnosis, Dr. Monagas, was leaving Children's hospital. They informed me that if I wanted him to perform her scope I needed to schedule for that Thursday. Are you kidding?! In the middle of waiting for a phone call about my cousin? I prayed, I thought it was a sign and I decided that Melissa would want me to do what is best for Rylee. She was always checking on Rylee, texting me and occasionally her and Rylee would text each other. I scheduled the scope and at 5:30 am on Wednesday, January 15 I received the message that my beautiful cousin received her wings. Speechless and heartbroken. Danny and I decided not to tell Rylee before her scope about her Aunt Melissa. The next morning I was at Children's for Rylee's scope. Very strange things happened that day which made me realize this was Melissa watching over Rylee all along. Rylee had a nice size varice which could have not turned out well if we would have waited to have a scope at her original scheduled time.  She had one varice banded and we had to say goodbye to her favorite doctor, who has watched her grow up, calmed us down, gave us much needed love and hugs but most importantly taken such good care of our baby. So we were left with a decision. Follow Dr Monagas to his new home in San Antonio or find a doctor locally who also performs banding. She is due for another scope in July with a follow up in April. So after researching and contemplating and praying and not to mention talking to Melissa, I decided it is worth taking the risk and seeing a somewhat new Dr.  This Dr was a fellow at children's with Dr. Monagas when Rylee was diagnosed and she actually sat in on Rylees procedures. I am scheduling her appointment next week. I truly, truly believe that Rylee's special angel has a lot, if not all, to do with this. This is a huge change and step for her that could possibly mean different treatments, etc. I am praying this turns out as good as I hope it will be. It has been a rough, hard 6 months emotionally for all of us and we are all ready for something positive to happen especially for Rylee. She had a very hard time accepting not seeing her Aunt Melissa anymore. As always, just keep praying for her and please say some extra needed prayers for Melissa's husband, Derek, my uncle dale, aunt Bridget and little
Cousin, Jonathan that in time they find comfort and peace.

Love, Brandi

No comments:

Post a Comment